Sunday, May 1, 2011

Books

My idea of a perfect day always involves reading. I love it! I'm hoping to instill a love for books in my children, so far it's looking promising. Now that Annaleigh's crib is down, there is room for a bookcase in her room, which I am thrilled about. We need at least two more bookcases in our house to contain all the reading material we own. I hope that we always have more books than we have room for!

On a side note, the majority of the books we own are Christian books. I haven't always been as selective as I am now, but one day I realized that everything you put into your mind gets stored up there and eventually becomes part of who you are. (The good man brings good things out of the good stored up in his heart, and the evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in his heart. For out of the overflow of his heart his mouth speaks. Lu 6:45) We are the same way with music in our family. It doesn't have to necessarily be Christian, but it does have to be "positive" (no swearing, glorifying immoral lifestyles, ect,  which honestly cuts out just about everything but Christian music).

 So, if you were at my house, here are the one's I would pull off the shelf for you!

Nonfiction:
"More Than a Carpenter" is a book I think all Christians should read. It explains a lot about the facts of Christianity (ie, the historical and scientific evidence that we have).

This is without a doubt, the best book I have read in a while. Richard Stearns, president of World Vision wrote this one about poverty and the change we can make. (btw, it's only $5 at cbd.com!)


Parenting:
Kevin Leman has a lot of great books, but this one on parenting is awesome. It's all about using "natural consequenses" rather than punishments like time-outs. He's a funny author and very easy to read.

Non-fiction:
I like just about all Francine Rivers books, but the Mark of the Lion series is amazing. "A Voice in the Wind" is my absolute favorite book


I don't know if this is a favorite, but it's such a sweet story. I used to love Sparks, but I find his killing off of main characters in the endings to be annoying. No deaths in this one!


Children's Bibles:
This one is awesome for toddlers. It has cute pictures and short rhyme verses. Perfect for Allie's age, although Sam still likes it. I've read it so many times, I think I have the whole thing memorized!


For older kids, I love this one. This pictures are fun and since it uses actual Bible verses, it is a really good introduction to what the Bible actually sounds like.

2 comments:

  1. I have become more aware of this than ever since becoming a mother - I can't even stand to listen to the news (world news yes. local news, where they just talk about murders etc. no way). It absolutely effects you. Scary/horror movies are a no go too. And with the music thing, I agree. I used to listen to some dark stuff back in high school (not marilyn manson dark, but definitely stuff more geared towards the teenage-angst demographic) and it really did impact my views and my moods. the nice thing is that there is a ton of great christian music out there of all styles - rap, hardcore, alternative so you can listen to the type of music you like with positive lyrics. i will have to check out the Hole in our Gospel - I really like world vision :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Becoming a mom definitely makes you more aware. All of a sudden you have little eyes and ears watching everything you do!

    ReplyDelete

 
Site Design by Designer Blogs