Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Parenting...

There is the saying that that people make the perfect parents until they actually have children. How true! I find it really funny to think back about how I thought parenting/children should be, and how it actually is. To be honest, I actually thought I had everything figured out until Annaleigh came along. Sam was an awesome baby. He started sleeping through the night at six weeks, fully potty trained in less than two, stuff like that- just very easy. (I like to joke around that apparently God thought I needed a lot of help in the parenting department because "God only gives you what you can handle" and Sam was not a lot to handle.) Sam led me to believe that it was mostly our awesome parenting skills that made him so awesome.
Then came Allie. ;) She is definitely awesome too, just a different kind. She makes us work, lol. Anyways, one of my parenting theories was that babies should be done with the binky by the time they can say their first word. (Joel think's Annaleigh is still too young to worry about it. I think I was traumitized by those six year olds you see that still have theirs.) Lets just say that Allie has been talking for a while and the binky was only unplugged yesterday. I wasn't even going to start the process yet (soon, but not yet) but she lost her last one and we weren't going to go to the store at bedtime to get one. I also wasn't sure how to do it. There's one suggestion out there to cut a little bit of the end of the pacifier off everyday until there's nothing left so they finally get tired of it. On one hand, I like it, because it seems like the lazy way out, but on the other, I was worried about her sucking in extra air and the safety of it. Cold turkey it is.
This is night two, and I have mixed reviews. She fell asleep pretty quickly, but only because she's really tired from refusing her nap. She wants me to lay with her while she's falling asleep but I can't trade in one bad habit for another, so we've been going and calming her down every few minutes. I guess it's too early to tell. (Btw, Sam only sucked his thumb, and he stopped that at six months when his 1st tooth came in. See?? EASY!)
So anyways, that's one of my parenting theories that hasn't panned out so well. I know there are countless others that have been adjusted and probably countless more that will be in the future (my kids are going to be perfect teenagers).

I kind of like to pretend that the whole  binky "issue" never happened, so anytime I notice that a paci sneaks it's way into a photo, I feel as if I have to take a different one. ;)


before...

after...

before...

after...



Before I got married I had six theories about bringing up children; now I have six children, and no theories. ~John Wilmot

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Site Design by Designer Blogs