Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Easy bake

Today, Sam and I made some really easy cookies. (Not that cookies are ever all that hard to make, but these are really easy).
All you need is:
1 box of cake mix
1/2 cup softened butter (I used margarine)
1 egg
mix together, bake at 350* for 9-10 minutes. That's it! They're not the world's greatest cookies or anything...actually not even as good as homemade (at least my batch, but I used white cake and margarine, maybe a different combo would have been better). But they ARE as good as those refridgerated ones you buy at the store. Since I have a few boxes of cake mix that I only paid 65 cents each for, they were definitley cheaper too. There are a few variations if you're using chocolate cake, so I added a link below. Oh yeah, I rolled mine up in wax paper and refridgerated for about an hour since we were using cookie cutters.

I really enjoy cake decorating, but it can be very time consuming. Also, Joel and I really aren't cake people. I only really love chocolate cake and Joel hates chocolate. Anyways, I've always wished I could do my decorating but on a smaller scale, so I want to try cookies. There are some really fancy ones out there! That is a project for another day though.

Today we did some super easy decorating. Yes, I'm using artificial dyes in my kids cookies, so if that offends you, you can stop reading, but I think in moderation it's fine. So, just mix up an egg white and a few drops of dye and "paint" it on the cookies before cooking.



This was our first time trying this, but what I loved is that it's soooo much less messy than decorating with icing, but still just as fun for the kids.

Here's the cookies when they came out of the oven.

Cute, huh? And  isn't that pink icing so pretty!? It hardens up so you can stack the cookies. That's the stuff I'm going to start practicing with. :)




website for cookies: http://busycooks.about.com/od/cookierecipes/r/cakemixcookies.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Site Design by Designer Blogs