Monday, June 27, 2011

Thinking ahead...

Besides when I'm leaving Joel to fend for himself for extended periods of time, I've never been that good at preparing meals in advance. I'm not really sure why, but I think since my freezer is kind of small I didn't think I had enough room. It's obviously a really smart thing to do  since the difference in time between cooking 1 pound of chicken and 5 pounds isn't that big. Because I don't have room in the freezer to freeze up a bunch of complete meals, I decided to try just the meat and see how that works.  I started small today, 3 pounds of ground beef (with some chopped onion and garlic) on the stove and a couple pounds of chicken thrown in the crockpot with a can of broth and some taco seasoning.  I divided them in individual bags and then put them in one big freezer bag.



This might be a no-brainer but I never thought about it until seeing it in my trusty BHG magazine a while back, but I learned to freeze any extra liquids flat so they fit nicer. (They actually had their's filed away in alphabetical order, but I don't have that much stuff)


Hailey was a huge fan of me shredding the chicken!



2 comments:

  1. good idea! meat is my least favorite thing to cook (that doesn't leave much else, does it!? lol) i'm sure that will make meal time much less stressful! i'll have to give it a try soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, meat is my least favorite part too! I'm hoping to motivate myself to do a big cooking day once or twice a month. I have a lot of good intentions that never actually happen though :P

    ReplyDelete

 
Site Design by Designer Blogs