Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Prepared


I love missionary books. I've actually read a few this past month, but this one- The Cross and the Switchblade- is amazing. It's all about a pastor (Wilkerson) in the late 50's who goes to NYC and begins working with teenage gang members. There is one part in particular that got me thinking...Wilkerson creates a home for teenagers trying to get their lives together, and at one point they run completely out of food and money. What happens next is the classic example of God's provision: they sit down and pray and a few minutes later there's a knock on the door and lady has exactly the amount of money they need for the day.
There is really two sides to this. On one, there is the pastor who sits down and begins praying with absolute faith that God will provide. That's the kind of faith that I pray daily for. And on the other, there is the woman who shows up with the money. She obviously responded to a burden God placed on her heart, and because she did, she was able to be a part of a really amazing thing. I believe God would have still answered their prayers even if she didn't respond, He just would have found someone else who was willing. I came across a verse recently that ties in really well with this:
For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.  Ephesians 2:10

I have a little more to say about this and how it applies to my life, but that is for another day. I hear Sam in his room yelling to Allie that there is only five minutes left on the timer...which means quiet time is over!



3 comments:

  1. Hi! Following from Cafemom! Hope you'll check mine out, too! http://13plumconfessions.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

 
Site Design by Designer Blogs