Monday, August 29, 2011

What I want to be when the kids grow up.

The other day Sam told me he didn't know school was going to be so hard, and I told him he had to go to school and learn lots of things if he wants to be a soldier when he grows up. Well, we thought about that for a while and then said, "I want to be a golfer when I grow up."

Haha! Anyways, it seems like the your whole childhood you are always asked "what do you want to be when you grow up?" I only went to college for a year before I dropped out and got married, but honestly, I had no clue what I wanted to do. I thought I really wanted to be a nurse, and then I realized I don't have the stress tolerance for that, although maybe now that I have a little more self-confidence it wouldn't be so bad. I haven't had to think about it for a while though, because I've always known that I want to stay home with the kids, but now that Sam has started school, I've been thinking about it again. Really I have at least five years, but if I end up going back to school I'd be lucky to finish that quickly.

I've thought of something in health care. Medical science has always fascinated me...I was a CNA for a while and loved working with people. So, that's a possibility (not being a cna again, but something else that takes more training than that, but less than nursing), my only problem is I want to be at home with the kids during the summer, so I don't know how that would work. Maybe if I did part-time?

My other idea, and the one I'm leaning more toward, is being a "professional volunteer" or whatever you want to call it. As long as we don't need the money, I don't need to be earning any. I think the thing I would like the most would be foster care, but I don't know if Joel will ever feel ready for that...it's an enormous commitment and task. I'd also love to work with the church or an organization that helps women/children/families in crisis situations or perhaps the elderly. I don't know! There are so many people out there in tough situations or who are suffering, and I feel like if I can do anything at all (through God of course!) to make their lives a little better, then that would be a life well spent for me.

 Starting on the 7th, I'll be helping out every Wednesday morning with a program our church does. Basically, they bring in women from government housing and the worst parts of the city, and teach them about the love of God, and also help them develop skills, like reading, typing, & homemaking, and have activities like crafts. I am so excited to be a part of this, and I think this will really help me see if this is a direction I'd like to go with.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Site Design by Designer Blogs