Sunday, September 25, 2011

Great big internal sigh.

Why is it so hard to break bad habits and so very easy to lose the good ones? Last month when all our guests started arriving, I started to feel busy, which I was, but at times like that it always seems the first thing to go is reading my Bible and spending time in prayer. It makes me a little sad, but that always seems the first thing to go. Not facebook or any of the other non-essestials that I still manage to find time for. Maybe it's because I like to do it a certain way (no children, please) or maybe it's some other reason.
Regardless, that's the way it is. I found this quote last night by Charles Hummel, "We live in constant tension between the urgent and the important. The problem is that the important task rarely must be done today or even this week. Extra hours of prayer or Bible study can wait. But the urgent tasks call for instant action-endless pressure every hour and day." Ahh, so true.
Anyways, yesterday I was wondering why I was feeling so overwhelmed by every little thing. Yes, life is busy and hectic and a little stressful right now, but not so much so that I should be feeling the way I am now.  Not that I should be constantly ready to snap at everybody. Then it hit me, when is the last time I asked God to help me? The last time I spent time in scriptures, or remembered that life is not about what we do, but who we are? I hate to admit that it's been a while. I've been doing a lot of doing, but not a lot of being.  I decided to start immediatley back up, and found a book that I bought months ago meaning to read.

Awesome book (It starts off with the story in Luke 10:38-42, not suprisingly). I've read the author's other "Mary" book and loved it.  Anyways, a few verses from my reading last night that stuck with me:

Ezekial 36:26
I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit in you; I will remove from you your heart of stone and give you a heart of flesh.

Matthew 11:28-30
“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”

1 comment:

  1. This is something I have been working on as well. I've found that one of the good things that has come out of being so broken or overwhelmed at times is you have no choice but to rely on God and those times can draw you closer to Him. I've been working on "praying without ceasing" during the day, whether it's for help or healing or thanks. I definitely can relate! Sometimes I just want to get rid of all the distractions - the internet and cable (because it's so hard to stay away!)

    ReplyDelete

 
Site Design by Designer Blogs