Friday, December 2, 2011

Christmas Crafts

 I've become a little addicted to pinterest.com (you can see my page here: http://pinterest.com/brinderknecht/) and I decided that this week I actually had to do something about it to justify all my time spent there.Actually, I've already done a few projects like these two:

Sidewalk chalk paint:  1 cup water, 1 cup cornstarch, food coloring

Melted crayon art for the playroom: crayons hot-glued to canvas, then melted with hair dryer


Anyways, this week, I accomplished several crafts and four different recipes. Here's my little review of the craft projects I did, and later on will come the recipes (two of which are definite keepers!).

These hand and footprint reindeer, and handprint trees (the trees I plan to do next year on a canvas with each family member's hand as a row and puppy's print as the star) were really cute. The footprints were a little messy, but nothing too bad!



I also made some salt ornaments: * 1 cup salt 2 cups flour 3/4-1 cup lukewarm water -air dry or oven at 200*
I have slightly mixed feelings on these. The cons: You can see they ended up a little cracked, and they took a really long time  to dry. I first put them in the oven for an hour, and they were still nowhere near being dry, so then they spent two days on the counter drying. Also, I wanted to do a puppy paw print, but the dough was too stiff. My fault or the recipes? I'm not sure, but I will try again because they are really cheap to make, a lot cheaper than the 50 cent ceramic ornaments I've bought the kids at hobby lobby, and at my kids ages, they definitely perfer quantity over quality! Also, I think they'll still be pretty cute once painted by them.



Finally, here are two things on pinterest that I really loved:

This peppermint ball (which I may actually try to make)


I wanted to do a wreath like the second, but for some reason, I couldn't find the small peppermints anywhere at Walmart, so I compromised. This was probably around a $5 project (depending on how much you spend on the bow, I got mine last year for 90% off) and comes together fairly quick. I also decided to just do peppermints on the front (and not the sides/inside) because it was already pretty heavy.

What are your favorite Christmas crafts?



 

1 comment:

 
Site Design by Designer Blogs