Sunday, January 1, 2012

2012

Happy New Year's! I know I am looking forward to what this year is bringing us! I'm not big on new year's resolutions, in fact I'm pretty anti-resolution making, but I'm married to a man who not only makes them, but has a little list that he keeps the entire year and checks off after he accomplishes each one. It shames me a little, haha. So anyways, this year my main goal is to create a healthier lifestyle for my family. There's obviously the nice benefit of losing weight (which I'm going to need in a few months!) but much more than that is just the healthy living part.  My family has a pretty awful history with cancer, and there's a 50% chance that I have the breast cancer gene (if I have that gene, it increases my risk of getting cancer by 80%). The worst part is that if I have the gene, there is a 50% chance that my babies have it too (genetics). For right now, I'm not going to be tested because there really isn't any benefit to knowing (all they'd do is watch me more carefully, and I can have that done without the test) and can actually cause insurance problems in the future.
So...healthy living is definitely something that is important to me, and I think the most obvious thing is diet, but there's other areas as well. It's not that we're very unhealthy people or anything, but we could do better. I've tried several times, but I always try to change too much at once and become a little overwhelmed and quit, so for now, I'm trying to make one change a month, and maybe as time goes on add more.
In December I  finally made the switch to 100% whole wheat bread. Not very big, but at least it's something. I haven't yet figured out what else will change in the months to come, so if you have any advice or ideas please let me know! I'm thinking this month will have something to do with the food pyramid and fruits and veggies.

1 comment:

  1. a way to get the kids involved is to make a rainbow and each week pick two (or more) colors and have each child pick out corresponding colored produce for meals/snacks! you could keep a list on hand of different produce for each color and they could pick that way or you could do a little "hunt" for them in the supermarket... My kids are pretty picky but they love broccoli so I keep a bunch of frozen bags on hand to cook up if they're hungry for snacks or to throw in whole wheat pasta for an easy meal.

    ReplyDelete

 
Site Design by Designer Blogs