Monday, July 23, 2012

Colorado

I wanted to save this post for when the kids were in bed, and I had plenty of time to get my thoughts out. When I was fourteen, my family and I were in a hotel in the middle of moving to Colorado, when Columbine High School was attacked. I think that's the first time I really understood how horribly soon and tragic life can be (I was also very happy when April 20th came and went without my little Owen being born)
Now, thirteen years later, Colorado has the movie theater massacre. I haven't watched much about it on the news, and honestly I hardly ever watch the news since becoming a mom. Maybe I'm naive, and maybe I'm being ignorant, but I feel as if I'm suffocating in the sorrow and horror I read about. I lose sleep over it. It makes me wonder what Joel and I were thinking bringing our precious children into this world. Obviously it's important to be aware of the suffering of those around us, but I don't know...is there such a thing as too much news? I think maybe there is.
I hardly ever talk politics, but I'm going to wander into it now. I've always voted Republican, I'm fine with people having guns, but I have to say, I can see why people want stronger gun laws. Why on earth are regular people able to buy automatic rifles that can shoot off 100 rounds?? If you can give me an answer I would honestly like to know. I know we can talk Constitutional rights, but the world is a whole lot different now than it was back then. They say we all need guns to fight off the crazies (or the government depending on who you're talking to), but doesn't that just escalate itself in a continual circle? I haven't put a lot of thought into the matter before this week. I'm guessing there is no right answer. Look at Sweden.
In one of the few articles I read, I saw a lot of people saying that the whole thing is a government conspiracy. Holmes was programmed by the CIA to do what he did so the government can take away our rights. I'll let you make your own decision on that one...
Anyways, my prayers are with all the victims, and friends and families of those affected in this tragedy...for those who will never again see their loved ones, and for all those who were in the movie theater who will forever live with the mental scars this event will leave them with.
Finally, the girl in this article is a friend of a friend of mine. I definitely recommend you read this story. Absolutely amazing.
http://bstrait.wordpress.com/2012/07/22/a-miracle-inside-the-the-aurora-shooting-one-victims-story/

1 comment:

  1. the news makes me sick as well, i can't watch it. i feel like the world has a fascination with all things morbid but what good does it do? I was telling sean that I think movies and video games are partly to blame, yes there would still be sick people and there would still be crime but if sick people weren't filling their minds with it, maybe they wouldn't do crazy things. when i was younger I used to fight my parents who thought that way but now I'm seeing it. That story is amazing! I will have to share.

    ReplyDelete

 
Site Design by Designer Blogs