Tuesday, October 23, 2012

aaaah kids...

Well, I finished off my two big projects this week, both with slightly disappointing results. First of all, I finished Allie's costume (minus owl "ears" I still need to pin on). A couple months ago while on pinterest Allie and I saw an owl costume from http://www.purejoyeventsblog.com/2010/10/girly-owl-costume-tutorial.html and she said she wanted to be an owl. Awesome, because it looked like something I could do! I followed the tutorial (although I used heavy duty craft glue rather than a sewing machine) and although it took forever since I made the feathers too small, it was simple and fun, and she's been super excited to wear it. Until today. I had her try it on, and now she hates it. It's actually almost funny.
In retrospect, I wish I had done the wings like they were on the tutorial, or at least made them brown. I feel like they're awkward. Also, there isn't a beak ( I just stuck a piece of felt there to give you an idea since Annaleigh refused to put the thing on) the plan was to just "paint" a beak on her nose.

the back-lots and lots of feathers
 
It kind of reminds me of the last time I made something for Sam:
I patched a hole up in his pants, and I thought it came out cute, but he hates them. Refuses to wear them. Who woulda guessed?
 
Also finished up the skirt. In another "retrospect" moment, I should have made a very simple one to start off with instead of messing with all the ruffles, and learned how to measure/sew properly, because the skirt came out too short and tight for my liking. (I also didn't line the ruffles up properly in the back where the seam is) I used this tutorial: http://bugaboominimrme.blogspot.com/2011/05/i-fully-admit-to-taking-superfluous.html
and it's a really good one. Easy enough for me to understand. I'll definitely try it again once I have the basics of skirt making mastered!
It was supposed to have another row of red ruffles under the black layer but it got lost in there. :P It actually looks better here than in real life.
 
silly girl :)
 
 
 
 
 Oh, bahaha. I was feeling a little guilty because I was spending so much time on Allie's skirt and costume, so I asked Sam if he wanted me to make him one next year. He very politely declined and said we should just buy him one. Good thing Owen is still too little to give me an opinion! ;)

1 comment:

  1. I think you did a good job on the skirt and the costume! And the patch - seriously too cute! sam's loss on that one :P

    ReplyDelete

 
Site Design by Designer Blogs