Saturday, October 6, 2012

five year plan

I've thought a lot about what I want to do with my life once the kids get older, and I've never really come to any kind of conclusion. I've always figured that once the baby was about to start pre-school, I'd start going back to school myself, but I had no clue what exactly that would be for. A month or two ago after one of Owen's late night feedings I couldn't go back to sleep, and it kind of came to me that I know what I want to do. I figured that like a lot of two a.m. decisions it would fade or disappear completely, but instead of that, the more I think about it, the more I feel certain that I know what I want to do, and I feel excited and ready to do it.
So...drum roll....
I want to study spiders. No, not really. Spiders are gross. I want to work with the elderly. I don't know in exactly what shape or form, but I have a few ideas.  The only "thing" I'm still trying to figure out is what I want my career to be. Or more specifically, I don't know that I want an actual career. I want to be home when the kids get home from school, and I don't want to have to hire a babysitter for the summer. I have plenty of time to work on the details. If I decide to go for an actual paying job, I think I'd like to be an activities director for a nursing home. Otherwise, I'd probably try to do something through the church. Maybe take some college courses on geriatric psychology, but mostly just find someone and be with them.  I know a lot of this is coming from my year working in a nursing home. The loneliness there is devastating. I just keeping thinking of all those people who live a full and happy life (or a not so happy life in some cases) and then end it alone. I think of the sweet little old ladies sitting in their wheelchairs in a line in a hall rocking their tiny plastic baby dolls, and my heart breaks for them. I just keep thinking that if I could do something to bring them a little bit of sunshine, then that would be something worth doing. So anyways, there it is. This is the latest of what is going on in my little head.

1 comment:

 
Site Design by Designer Blogs