Sunday, December 16, 2012

nor doth He sleep



And in despair I bowed my head;
“There is no peace on earth,” I said;
“For hate is strong,
And mocks the song
Of peace on earth, good-will to men!”
...
 Then pealed the bells more loud and deep:
“God is not dead, nor doth He sleep;
The Wrong shall fail,
The Right prevail,
With peace on earth, good-will to men.”

I've absolutely and completely come to realize that I cannot watch (which I haven't done) or read the news. It almost feels impossible with the media frenzy out there, but  after reading a story last night about how the children just wanted to have Christmas (such a sweet, childish thought...), I spent the next two hours crying in bed. In general, since Friday I have been feeling pretty down and depressed.  I think it's because before Friday it felt like our children were still safe, that there was a line that would not be crossed where they were concerned. How do you get past the fact that now that line has been crossed?

And then, to make things a little worse, I found out this morning, that there was a gun incident at Sam's school back on the 3rd. Apparently a student brought a gun (broken & unloaded thankfully) to school and threatened to kill two students. The schools principal had hopes of joining the student counsel and becoming superintendent, so she decided to try and hide it and didn't let ANY parents know what happened. It wasn't until ten days later that parents found out. I've always loved Sam's school, but this is just so wrong on so many levels.

Anyways, how do you let things not get to you? How do you keep yourself from letting the fear of the world for your children overwhelm you? Obviously, there is the thought of homeschooling. If they don't go to school, this can't happen...if only it was that simple, but it doesn't actually work that way, does it? Are we also never going to the mall again? The movies? How about church? I suppose the only thing you can do is believe that God is in control, that He is faithful and good, and that there is a purpose and a plan for our lives....

I'm going to go out on a limb here and recommend the book "The Shack." I say a limb, because in my opinion it is a bit irreverent in it's portrayal of God (God the Father is a woman, and the Spirit is some sort of female wind...) BUT it does do a very good job of showing where God is when bad things happen and why He allows things to happen...

    
"Be strong and courageous. Do not fear or be in dread of them, for it is the Lord your God who goes with you. He will not leave you or forsake you.” Deut. 31:6

1 comment:

  1. Well said. I am sorry to hear about that with Sam's school. I would have flipped out! I really liked The Shack.

    ReplyDelete

 
Site Design by Designer Blogs