Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Just call me...

So today is a SUPER exciting day for me!! I've become an aunt! My beautiful sister-in-law Tamma(Joel's brother's wife) had an absolutely perfect little boy, sweet little Romain Carter. I have been anticipating this day for a long time!

I have had the absolute and complete privilidge of knowing two of the most amazing women, and being their niece. Both are now with Jesus, but the time that I was able to spend with them had a huge impact on my life.  Without sounding melodramatic (since I obviously have no part in becoming an aunt), I feel like it's such an honor to  have the title of because whenever I hear that word I think of these women.

I wish you all could have known them. Last night, I was trying to think of how to describe each of them...

My sweet Aunt Ivy. She has always been the woman that I would want to become. Even from a very young age, I knew she was something special. When I think of her, I immediately think love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, self-control. Everything that the Bible tells us we should strive to be, that is what I saw in her. What an incredible legacy she left behind. She absolutely overflowed with the goodness of God.
I spent all morning trying to find a certain picture I have with her and me at my wedding, and was really upset that I couldn't find it,  but then I came upon this one:
It's a silly picture. I look ridiculous and my mom and brother are being goofs to the side. I never noticed until today how Aunt Ivy has her arms wrapped around mine. I think today it became my new favorite picture. Ah, how I miss her! 

My Aunt Margie was a tiny little woman, but she was a mama bear. I wanted so much for her to be proud of me. It's funny how when you look back and remember, certain things stand out. Aunt Margie's hugs are one of those things for me. Strong and tight, and I always wondered how long it took her to braid her hair. I also remember eating an entire bowl of beans (which was the worst thing ever when I was 8) for her. It must have been a big sacrifice for me, since I still remember it. :) I've often wished I could see her one last time, to let her know how much I love her.
 
Aaah, I'm crying now, but this was supposed to be a happy post! It's hard to describe how much someone means to you in one little paragraph, to do their memory justice....

Little fact about me: I never had a nickname growing up, never even went by Beth, with one exception. My two aunts (and maybe my Grandma, I'm not entirely sure on that now...) called me Bethy. So when I found out there was another Bethany joining the family, I let her know right away that that was MY name, haha. (I was totally ready to pull some sister-in-law matriarch power, but turns out I didn't need to.) Anyways, I want to be Aunt Bethy (or Bethie, still deciding which is better?) to my little nephew (and all the future little nephews & nieces), and I am so excited to finally get the chance. I'm really wishing we were in Georgia right now, but I'll just have to trust that I can still be favorite aunt from far away. It's happening.;)

1 comment:

 
Site Design by Designer Blogs