Wednesday, July 10, 2013

What a week...

Joel had a four day weekend thanks to the fourth (and thanks to an awesome holiday schedule where he works!!). The 3rd we went to the base lake for fireworks. The kids did great. Even Owen which is more than we hoped for. The funny thing is we got there at 6:30pm knowing that the fireworks were scheduled to go off at 10. Five minutes into the show, Allie's all "how long is this going to last??"

 
 


the pre-show. So pretty!

Later that week, Owen helped out by watering the dogs.

He tried out a few different methods....
 

look how smug he looks! haha!

 

and learned what happens when you point the water hose at your face...


but still smiled through it all.
I snuck in my favorite apple pie recipe, which one day I'll have to grace you all with ;)
 
nuthin' more American than apple pie they tell me...

except maybe apple pie with vanilla ice cream on top!

We got our first tomato from our garden. Please note how I artfully arranged it on a scrap of fabric for your viewing pleasure. ;)

Saturday rolled around and it was time to make Allie's birthday cake, which I look forward to all year long. I wasn't expecting a stomach bug or some potentially devastating family news that day. Joel offered to go buy a cake, and I'm pretty sure I yelled something nasty at him about him hating my cooking and trying to take away my joy of cake decorating. :/ Anyways, between my moans from stomach pains (writing that makes me think it would have been a good idea to step away from the cake...) to crying for five hours straight, I came up with this beauty:
 

I'm so disappointed! I shaped the cake and then tried doing a white chocolate ganache. Then I barely got the cake on to the stand without it falling apart, only to realize that it was totally off-centered. I added some sprinkles to try to help the thing out, then added frosting all around to cover the horrible bottom, and then I went all out with the sprinkles on the edge. The next day I really wanted to bake up a chocolate cake and plop this on top, but I knew that was only my pride, and we'd never eat that much cake, so I left it as is.
 

 
For Allie, I bought her a shirt ($2.30 from Hobby Lobby!) and added some batman details. I also made her a reversible cape. I'm really loving it since it has Velcro and she can take it on and off herself. We had a blast that afternoon taking pictures! Saturday aside, the week was a really lovely one!

1 comment:

 
Site Design by Designer Blogs