Thursday, November 14, 2013

all the little birdies...

I feel like I start every other post with this, but this week has been busy! Back in June, a friend of mine and I signed up to host a booth at a local craft fair for this Saturday. For now, I've got a facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/allthelittlebirdies  As for how I got the name "All the Little Birdies" I happen to love birds, especially song birds and sparrows, plus I call my kids my little birdies. Anyways, on etsy I tried a several combinations of Little Birdies, and have a business page reserved with that name. We'll see though. What I would really, really love to do, is set up a sort of non-profit business-where every few months I'd find a family in need (medical crisis, adoption, ect...) and donate all the profits to them. Again, we'll see. It might not happen until all the kids go to school, but for now, that's my thought.
 So, since June, I've gotten a lot of stuff done, but this past week I've been busy putting the finishing touches on a lot of different things. I did have a problem where I kept changing directions on what I wanted to do. I first started out planning on making holiday banners like this:
I actually really like these, but for some reason, other than cutting out a million burlap triangles, I never made more than three.

Then I made this skirt for Annaleigh and loved it:
After making a few random skirts, I realized that it was a bad choice for a craft fair since I'd have to make a bunch of different sizes in hopes that the right person would want the right size. Since Allie's skirt cost me $10 in fabric, that was more money than I wanted to put into something I might not be able to sell. Making those to order is a much better option, in my opinion.
Finally, I had a friend do a craft fair, and she sold a total of ZERO items. :/ So, I decided whatever I made needed to be something useful, so that even if I sell nothing, I won't have 500 pot holders laying around. I kind of settled on aprons, crayon rolls, and baby items, since they're cheap to make & relatively quick, and I always have a baby shower to go to, or little kids to buy birthday gifts for. The nice thing about making your own stuff, is that you can give a nicer gift for the same amount of money, so that's good. I actually have a baby shower to go to an hour after the fair ends, and I know about 10 other pregnant women. Us military famlies know how to make them babies. ;)
So wish me luck! I'm really nervous about "debuting" my own stuff. Wish my husband luck, because this is definitely the longest he'll ever have had to go watching all three kids on his own.



No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Site Design by Designer Blogs